Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blog Entry #5

Today I finally saw the small memorial dedicated to some fallen comrades here in Vietnam. I can't even begin to describe the sad pain I felt today. All these dead soldiers, and thinking about what they could've made of themselves once they got back home. All the family they left behind. Their children that will grow up without knowing their dad. Then I look around at all the Vietnamese men, knowing that a majority of them are Viet Cong. Do they care about these fallen men? I look at them and I'm so emotionally and physically drained that I can't even muster up any anger towards them. I'm realizing day by day to act just like them. Emotionless. Cold hearted. I'm not the same guy I use to be. What would Thelma say if she saw me act like this? Would Mason try to sit me down and drink herbal tea and sing out my feelings? None of them would understand me right now. Imade a promise to myself that I intend to keep; I will somehow touch the lives of all these fallen soldiers families. I'll visit the wives and parents and send Christmas gifts to their kids. I'll act as a father figure to them when they need one. I can't even begin to describe what I'll do. All I know if that this little memorial site has the wheels in my mind turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment