Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Blog Entry #4

Well today was pretty rough for me. My platoon and I were out near Laos on regular patrol when we heard gunfire. We immedtialey began to return fire but smoke and thick trees made it nearly impossibe to see and I was unfortunetly shot in my right thigh right below my butt cheek. I began to fall and somehow managed to twist my ankle on the way down. I knew I'd be fine but I worried about this young private that recently joined us. The poor guy looked so scared. He didn't even fire his weapon. He just stood there shaking and then sat down and began to cry. Although I was in agonizing pain, I took pity on him. Back in the US, joining the military is glamorized by fighting the enemy and returning with new found honor. Ask any soldier and he'll tell you otherwise. Soon enough the gunfire seised and my men began to help me back to camp. I looked to my left and in the mud I see fallen soldiers getting their bodies picked up for proper burial. At that very moment I realized why I was so grateful my brother wasn't here. I couldn't imagine him lying there lifeless and cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment